I follow the Hatch blog quite closely these days as I am learning about early learning education. A recent article by Sue Bredekamp, an early childhood educator for 40 years, discusses the current trends that have had the greatest impact in recent years. Some of the items on her list include:
- Emphasis on learning standards – Head Start outcomes, common core & state Early Learning Standards
- Accountability culture – assessment of teacher effectiveness & child outcomes (CLASS in Head Start); state data systems (QRIS)
- Demand for evidence-based curriculum with literacy & mathematics focus
- Increasing role of digital media at home & in schools, and in professional development
- Achievement gap present at preschool and growing over time
Have these trends affected your work and how have you adjusted to them? Let us know!